Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Adventures in Hot Yoga

Today was a big day in my journey. I went to my first every Hot Yoga class! I'll get to the details in a second, but first I'm totally jazzed because I LOVED it. Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are the only days I don't have a regular class I go to. I get to cross Wednesday off that list! 

Now, let me start this with a disclaimer… there will be a lot of patting myself on the back in this post. If that annoys you, you should probably stop reading now. 

I KILLED it! I was so nervous going into the class. I was sure it was going to be so hard that I was going to get frustrated and leave halfway through. I was convinced I was going to have all the same insecurities, and negative thoughts that usually come up. I didn't have any of that! It was unbelievable! 

I think one of the things that really helped me was going in there thinking "you're going to be the least experienced person in there. take modifications if you need to, rest, and use props." I SHOULD be going into every yoga class thinking that, it made all the difference. With the help of a block I was able to do this: 
(Obviously this isn't me in this picture!) 
Today my instructor was Jen. She is awesome. She answered every annoying question I had before, and during class. She talked a lot at the beginning of class about how fear is what stops us. It's so true. I can't imagine how different life would be if we didn't let fear stop us. Today, I didn't let fear stop me. I fell, wobbled, and my post baby gut got in the way, but I also did some really amazing stuff and tried things I would've previously convinced myself were impossible. Today was a victory in my yoga world. :) 

Here's a question for my fellow yogis who may be reading this…. We were working on rabbit pose towards the end of class. Most of the class moved from rabbit to headstand. I rested in rabbit but on the top of my head to get used to holding weight on my head, in preparation for being able to do headstand. I got the weird sinus thing, it kind of felt like I got water up my nose. Anyone have this happen to them before? Just curious. 

Thanks for reading ya'll and remember: 




1 comment:

  1. First of all -- YAY for going and extra YAY for getting out of your head for a change =) -- anytime your heart is above your head, when your inverted, especially when you arent used to hanging out there for a while, expect some funky sensations...like the sinus thing. with the weather being the way it is too, and im sure the china gel aroma was flowing in that hot room, basically your sinus's were opened up so when you inverted, everything kinda just flows....( trying not to be too gross here ) you know the real me wants just say Snot happens.... =P i think I may try and join you next week...Ive been putting other things ahead of my yoga practice lately which is not good...but there is not enough time in the day unfortunately to accomplish everything -- sigh --

    keep up the great work --keep up the journal -- i truly enjoy these posts.... love ya

    ReplyDelete